Monday, September 20, 2010

Did you know about "The Green Book"?




Harlem postal employee, Victor H. Green created “The Green Book” in response to Jim Crow discrimination and violence in America. Essentially the book was a travel guide for blacks. It’s not surprising that a postal employee could come up with this concept. If he contacted black postal workers across the country, he would be able to find out where blacks lived. The book directed black travelers to safe lodging, restaurants, and other services. Many blacks traveling the highways had to deal with “sunset laws.” Sunset Laws basically meant that blacks had to be out of the town before sunset. Things have changed for black travelers since the books first publication in 1936. But “The Green Book” still represents a shameful time in American History.

8 comments:

BluAssassin said...

Interesting info...

Val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

Yep, I've heard of the green book.

"Things have changed for black travelers since the books first publication in 1936."

Yeah things have changed but I still wouldn't mind an updated Green Book. There are still a bunch of places I'd like to know to avoid.

uglyblackjohn said...

I read about this at Subrealism a few weeks ago.
I was talking to a group of elderly relatives after a recent funeraland asked about it - one went to a back room and brought out a few copies.
They told me that people would stay at the homes of friends and relatives if there were no approved sites in any given area.

msladyDeborah said...

The things that our elders and ancestors had to do to survive in this nation-it often boogles my mind. I would really like to see a copy of this book. I'm interested in learning if my hometown is mentioned in it. At one time there were a lot of folks who worked on the railroad coming though here. I'd like to know where they were directed.

Citizen Ojo said...

BluAssassin - Yeah, I was amazed when I heard about this. I wish I could get my hands on an original book.

Val - You always are in the know, do you have a copy?? ha ha. Places you would like to avoid? MMMmmmm... Sounds like another conversation to me..ha ha ha

Uglyblackjohn - Look at you with a piece of history. I wish I had a book.

msladydeborah - You should get with uglyblackjohn to see if he has a copy. Yeah, the indignity that the elders faced would make God hold his head in shame.

Nik said...

It's unbelievable but believable. I know this stuff was real and it happened, but it still boggles my mind that this was allowed to happen.

You always post fascinating stuff. I'd love to read this book.

Citizen Ojo said...

Nik - Believe it sista... Yeah, I want to get my hands on that book too.. Thanks, I will keep on with info that is important.