Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Pulling back the curtain on the Wizard.




Multimillionaire health care entrepreneur Rick Scott has been at the center of the aggressive campaign to derail health care reform in Washington DC. He has met with lawmakers, coordinated conference calls with conservative activists, written op eds on the evils of socialized medicine, starred in a nationwide ad campaign, and founded the anti-reform group Conservatives for Patients Rights. But little attention has been paid to the business model at Scott's own for-profit health care company, Solantic, which profits off of the uninsured. As a new Investigative Fund probe by Tristram Korten shows, without masses of uninsured people dependent on the ER for their care, Scott doesn't have a client base.


Korten's article, "Rick Scott Profits off the Uninsured," the first installment of a two-part investigation into Rick Scott and Solantic, was supported by the Investigative Fund at The Nation Institute.


In the second installment, Korten finds evidence of pressure at Solantic not to hire "fat people," people with accents, or anyone who does not appear "mainstream."





Citizens, what do you think? Is this a legitimate case of right-wing trickery or part of the liberal smear campaign against the right?

2 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

I have heard that he is known for his shiesty business dealings. Would I be surprised if he was profiteering from trying to kill health care reform? No.

I like to look up my information to see if there is validity in the claim. Believe me, I will be Googling Rick Scott and stalking him like he stole something from me.

Citizen Ojo said...

MsLadyDeborah - You forming a Citizens Watchdog Group? Get em girl!!!! ha ha ha. I wanted to put this out for the people to decide. I have heard rumors on rumors but I wanted to take a closer look. His interview with Rick Sanchez didn't do him any favors though.